Solihull Moors produced a tremendous defensive display once again as they went on to end FC Halifax Town‘s impressive unbeaten streak in a tight affair at Damson Park.

Callum Maycock‘s first goal for the Moors secured the three points for Neal Ardley‘s side who move into the play-off places with the victory.

Team news:

Manager Ardley made one change to his starting line-up from the previous league game; a 0-1 win against King‘s Lynn Town.

Tyrone Williams came into the team f0r Adam Rooney, who was amongst the substitutes.

The match

Both teams came into the match in a good patch of form. Moors hadn't lost in their last four, while Halifax were on a nine-game unbeaten streak in all competitions heading into the game.

The first half was clear evidence of why the two sides have been so hard to get a victory against lately. Neither side managed to create a clear-cut chance in the first 45 minutes, but both had some good moments and fought hard.

Left-back Jordan Cranston showed some excellent energy early on. He wasn't afraid to go high up the pitch, and he had two shots in the first 15 minutes. Both shots, however, went well wide of the goal and didn't cause much danger.

The Moors' defence has been fantastic lately and hasn't conceded in the last four games. The solid defensive form continued in the first half as they Shaymen weren't able to test Ryan Boot in goal. Halifax striker, Billy Waters, came into the game as one of the Vanarama National League's top goalscorers with eight goals, but he couldn't find any openings.

Neither goalkeeper had much to do before the half-time whistle, and it was goalless as the teams walked to the changing rooms.

Half-time: Solihull Moors 0 – 0 FC Halifax Town

Moors made a dream start to the second half. The game opened up quickly as both the home side and the visitors had weak calls for a penalty waved away by the referee.

In the 52nd minute, Halifax went high up the pitch with their team and lost the ball; Moors recovered the ball and countered quickly. James Ball played a terrific pass up the right flank for Andrew Dallas, who ran after it. The forward did everything right as he found Maycock in the centre. He finished the chance excellently and gave the home side a lead.

Moors were unlucky not to double their advantage on the 66th minute. After a great delivery from Cranston, the ball fell to Dallas in the box. However, his effort from short-range was saved by Sam Johnson, the Halifax goalkeeper.

Halifax grew back into the game and pressed for an equaliser. But every time they got themself into a good position and looked likely, a Moors player was there to throw their body in front of the shot, head it or clear it away. Boot also dealt with everything that got past the defence.

The Shaymen had their best opportunity in stoppage time when Kieran Green headed the ball on target from close range. Boot - who had a solid game between the sticks - pulled off the impressive save to ensure all three points stayed with the home side.

Full-time: Solihull Moors 1 -0 FC Halifax Town

Moors now sit seventh in the National League with 22 points from 12 games after snapping Halifax‘s nine-game unbeaten run.

Solihull Moors: Boot (GK), Williams, Howe, Gudger, Cranston, Barnett, Maycock, Maynard, Sbarra (Donawa 90), Ball (Storer 84), Dallas (Newton 68).

Unused subs: Rooney, Osborne.

Attendance: 1594 (265)

Surridge Man of the Match: Jordan Cranston

Report by Guðmundur Ásgeirsson

Image by Richard King