Moors had a difficult day at the office as they fell to defeat against Chesterfield in Vanarama National League action on Saturday.

Chesterfield, who are top of the league, came to town and left with the three points – scoring twice after Moors lost captain Kyle Storer through a straight red card.

Team News

Neal Ardley made two changes from the team that gave Wigan Athletic – one of League One‘s best sides – a really tough time in the FA Cup midweek. Moors ended up losing that 1-2 after extra time.

Jordan Cranston was suspended for the game against Wigan. He returned from his three-match ban and came into the starting line-up, along with Jamey Osborne.

Callum Maycock started on the bench as well as Harry Boyes after starting the game in midweek.

The Match

The visitors came into the game in high spirits as they were at the top of the table. They started the game with intensity and got a great chance in the eighth minute of the game after a misplaced pass. Kabongo Tshimanga was through on goal but Ryan Boot did exceptionally well; came out quickly and made the save.

Boot proved crucial once again in the 23rd minute when he saved Jeff King‘s low-driven shot from a free-kick.

Moors had a great chance to score in the 26th minute when Danny Newton‘s header hit the bar following a corner that was taken quickly.

Shortly after that great chance, things turned sour for the home side as Storer was shown a red card by the referee for a challenge on Luke Croll – both players went in full-blooded but it was the Moors skipper who was given his marching orders.

Chesterfield used their advantage to the fullest before the half-time whistle. Alex Whittle gave the Spireites the lead after a great build-up. Then Tshimanga got his 16th goal in 16 league matches this season to make it 2-0.

Just before Thsimanaga scored, Adam Rooney had a good opportunity to equalise but Scott Loach, the Chesterfield goalkeeper, did well to deny him, with Joe Sbarra‘s follow-up blocked.

Half time: Solihull Moors 0 – 2 Chesterfield

It was always going to be difficult, being ten against eleven in the second half but Moors‘ players gave it everything in the second half and fought until the very end.

At the start of the half Rooney nearly got a goal back as he won the ball from Loach, Chesterfield‘s keeper. Before shooting the ball, Rooney was brought down by Loach and a free-kick was called. There were calls for a red card but the Spireites keeper was only shown a yellow.

Chesterfield had some chances to add more goals but Boot did fantastically between the sticks on more than one occasion. He saved an effort from Curtis Weston in the 59th minute and then did excellently five minutes later when Saidou Khan was sent through on goal.

In the 92nd minute Boot was called upon again; he denied Chesterfield a third goal in stoppage time. King unleashed a strong effort on goal but the Moors goalkeeper made a really good save.

Despite being a man down, Moors managed to hold the second half goalless. But unfortunately, it was the visitors who took the three points.

Moors sit in eighth place with 26 points, while Chesterfield remain top of the table. Our next match is at home against Grimsby Town on Tuesday night; a chance to get back to winning ways.

Full time: Solihull Moors 0 – 2 Chesterfield

Solihull Moors: Boot (GK), Cranston, Storer (C), Howe, Sbarra (Boyes 66), Rooney (Dallas 72), Osborne (Maycock 66), Barnett, Ball, Newton, Maynard.

Subs not used: Donawa, Hudlin.

Attendance: 1950 (919 away)

Silence Solihull Man of the Match: Callum Howe

Report by Guðmundur Ásgeirsson

Image by Richard King