First Team Match Reports

Weymouth v Solihull Moors

0 - 0 Feb 20th 2021 at 15:00

Starting Lineup


29Ethan Ross
2Brennan Camp
8Jake McCarthy
16Andy Robinson
17Calvin Brooks
18Andrew Dallas Ben Thomson 84'
21Jacob Mensah
24Dominic Revan
26Ollie Harfield
27Joan Luque Cody Cooke 73'
32Sean Shields



9Ben Thomson
15Josh Leslie-Smith
20Cody Cooke
23Cameron Murray
42Pierre Fonkeu

Starting Lineup

Solihull Moors

1Ryan Boot
12Cameron Coxe Justin Donawa 73'
20Kyle Howkins
29Nathan Cameron
2Tyrone Williams
3Jordan Cranston
4Kyle Storer
8Stephen Gleeson
15Callum Maycock
9Adam Rooney
27Kyle Hudlin Joe Sbarra 50'


Solihull Moors

6Alex Gudger
7Joe Sbarra
13Niall Clayton
17Jordan Piggott
26Justin Donawa

Match Report

Weymouth v Solihull Moors
Weymouth v Solihull Moors

Team News

Manager Jimmy Shan made two changes from the team that secured an impressive 3-1 win in the league at Aldershot on Tuesday night.

Goalscorer from that evening, Alex Gudger was rested with centre back Nathan Cameron coming back into the fold. Gudger continuing to be being managed cautiously by Shan following the defender's lengthy injury lay-off.

Jamie Ward, who also found the net in the win over the Shots, was unable to recover from an injury sustained in the game, so Kyle Hudlin was recalled to start alongside Adam Rooney up top for the visitors.

Callum Maycock was the most advanced of a midfield trio, with Kyle Storer and Stephen Gleeson, the pair occupying more deep-lying roles in the middle of the park.

Minute by Minute Report

Shan’s men started on the front foot, Rooney and Hudlin looking to make their physical presence known to the Weymouth backline early on.

Moors had started direct but were still keen to get the ball down and play, Jordan Cranston delivering a teasing low cross but it was well defended by the home side.

From the resulting corner, with time and space on the edge of the box, captain Kyle Storer tried his luck but Ollie Harfield diverted his effort wide.

The pressure didn’t relent though, as the next Cranston corner was glanced against the underside bar as Moors continued to knock on the door.

A guilt edge chance then fell to Cameron Coxe, who came charging in off the right side flank, Rooney found him in the middle of the area, but the Welshman flashed his shot wide.

All the play was in the Weymouth half, with Moors wing-backs Coxe and Cranston getting joy on the flanks.

But despite all the dominance, it was the Terras who had the first shot on target. Calvin Brooks latched onto a long ball but Moors keeper Ryan Boot was equal to his low strike.

Having weathered the early storm, Weymouth had started to grab a foothold in the game as the half-hour approached, retaining possession well.

One spell of keep-ball almost led to them taking the lead, a cross into the box evaded the Moors defence but Brooks couldn’t adjust himself in time and his effort dribbled wide.

Moors' Maycock was enjoying an industrious afternoon, it was his chasing down of a loose ball and harrying of a defender that forced a corner for the Moors.

From that set-piece, Cranston’s ball caused confusion in the box. Cameron poked home from close range but keeper Ethan Ross was deemed to have been fouled in the build-up and the goal was ruled out.

It was unfortunate for the Moors who had produced a solid first-half display but Shan's men were just missing the cutting edge and that all-important breakthrough. The teams going in level at the break.

HT: Weymouth 0-0 Solihull Moors

The Terras came out with a renewed sense of vigour after the interval with Brooks and Andrew Dallas looking to get amongst the visiting defence.

Five minutes into the half and Moors boss Shan chose to switch things around, with Hudlin replaced by Joe Sbarra.

Then shortly after, a dangerous ball had Dallas on the wrong side of Cameron who could only trip the striker in the area and the referee had no option but to point to the spot.

Dallas picked himself up to take the penalty, but his fiercely struck penalty smashed the underside of the crossbar, bounced on the line and bounced away to safety.

Weymouth had begun the second period much the stronger, dominating possession and testing the Moors defence with several promising attacks.

But on the counter the visitors were looking lively, substitute Sbarra running behind the backline, found by Coxe but the midfielder’s cross was cleared well by Brennan Camp.

However, it was a brief respite for Moors who were again forced to defend their area, Brooks pulled it back to Dallas but his shot was straight at Boot in the Moors goal.

Moors’ resilience was being tested, Cranston did very well to head clear Harfield's teasing ball towards the back post with just under 15 minutes remaining.

The left-back then almost made an impact at the other end, his initial shot was blocked before his second attempt heading for the far corner, was clawed away by Ross.

It was Moors’ first attempt on target of the second half, a fast counter that had almost lead to the deadlock being opened.

Shan’s men rallied late as the game entered into stoppage time but were unable to find a route to goal and left the South Coast with a hard-earned point and a 50th Moors clean sheet for stopper Ryan Boot.

FT: Weymouth 0-0 Solihull Moors

Click a to expand () the menu