First Team Match Reports

Solihull Moors v Sutton United

0 - 0 Apr 5th 2021 at 15:00

Starting Lineup

Solihull Moors

1Ryan Boot
21Ben Usher-Shipway
16Reiss McNally Jordan Piggott 83'
2Tyrone Williams
3Jordan Cranston
4Kyle Storer
15Callum Maycock
11Jamie Ward
7Joe Sbarra
25Cameron Archer Justin Donawa 74'
27Kyle Hudlin


Solihull Moors

12Cameron Coxe
13Niall Clayton
17Jordan Piggott
24Mitch Hancox
26Justin Donawa

Starting Lineup

Sutton United

1Dean Bouzanis
2Jon Barden
6Louis John
5Ben Goodliffe
24Rob Milsom
10Harry Beautyman
15Craig Eastmond
20Joash Nembhard
7David Ajiboye
9Omar Bugiel
25Isaac Olaofe Donovan Wilson 70'


Sutton United

3Ben Wyatt
17Tobi Sho-Silva
21Callum Kealy
26Aaron Simpson
28Donovan Wilson

Match Report

Solihull Moors v Sutton United
Solihull Moors v Sutton United


The game came too early for Ryan Barnett who was still recovering from a nasty blow to the face that forced him off during Friday's 2-0 win over Barnet.

In place of the on-loan Shrewsbury winger, Jamie Ward, who impressed from the bench against the Bees, was promoted to the starting line-up.

Whilst Mitch Hancox made a return to the squad, having completed his recent two-match ban for his dismissal in the 1-0 win over Aldershot Town.

James Ball who also saw red in that game, served the final of his three-match suspension.


An audacious effort right from the kick-off saw Kyle Storer test Dean Bouzanis, the visiting keeper forced to backpedal and tip the Moors skipper’s attempted lob over the bar.

Then at the other end, Isaac Olaofe raced through on goal, having rounded Ryan Boot, he went down, claiming to be clipped but the referee rejected the appeals and the U's striker was booked.

It had been a fast start from both sides, the hosts seemingly unfazed by their top of the table opponents in a very attacking opening to the game.

Cameron Archer was next on the charge, showing fleet footedness to win a dangerous free-kick on the edge of the area, but Ward’s resulting set-piece flew harmlessly over.

Again in the lone striker role, Kyle Hudlin had started well for Mark Yates’ men. Holding the ball up well and looking to bring Joe Sbarra into play.

In a neat piece of play, Hudlin’s flick-on found Archer who turned it into Sbarra. The midfielder threaded it through to Ward on the wing but his cross was cut out.

Then from a Jordan Cranston delivery, Archer shrugged off his marker to win the header but he found another green shirt in the way to block.

Close there and again from a Cranston corner midway through the half. This time Reiss McNally had escaped his marker, he met it sweetly but fired wide.

Another flowing move started with Hudlin who sprayed a pass out to Sbarra. The ball was then well worked to the opposite flank before Cranston’s cross was collected by Bouzanis.

As the half-hour mark went by, Moors would have been encouraged by the way they had taken the game to the visitors.

Sutton had shown glimpses of neat play. One such instance resulted in Harry Beautyman firing across Boot, it beat the Moors keeper but not Tyrone Williams on the line.

The Moors man proving the last line of defence, a great goal-line clearance to stop his side from falling behind.

Half-time approached and Moors were still threatening the away side. Yates’ men looking to play off Hudlin, the striker causing problems for Sutton’s centre back pairing.

But goalless was how it remained as the teams went in level at the break.

HT: Solihull Moors 0-0 Sutton United

At the start of the second half, Ward won a free-kick right on the edge of the area but Storer stepped up and was unable to keep his firmly struck shot from going skywards.

With the hour mark approaching, it was the defences coming out on top. For Moors, Williams and McNally successfully keeping a close eye on U’s striker Omar Bugiel.

Although Moors’ backline did breathe a sigh of relief when David Ajiboye snuck in at the back post, went round Boot but was crowded out at the vital moment.

It was indicative of Moors' battling display. With just over 20 minutes remaining, Storer made a last-ditch block as Sutton looked for a breakthrough, the skipper throwing himself in the way of a goalbound strike.

Moors were defending admirably, soaking up pressure from the league leaders. Donovan Wilson turned and flashed a shot goalwards but again a Moors man got a telling touch.

It was all Sutton but against the run of play Moors so nearly pulled ahead, through a bizarre incident involving Kyle Hudlin.

He was quick to close down Bouzanis’ clearance, the ball then ricocheted off the striker but drifted agonisingly over for the Moors to spare the blushes of the U’s keeper.

Inside the last 10 minutes, a neat exchange between Sbarra and Ben Usher-Shipway had the former breaking into the box but his low cross was well cleared by Ben Goodliffe.

With time ticking down, Donovan’s strike was well charged down before Craig Eastmond running onto the loose ball, crashed a shot off the stanchion.

Five minutes of stoppage time made for a nervy finish but Moors dug in and stood firm to claim a valuable point.

It was a stoic performance from Yates' men who stretched their unbeaten run to four league games.

FT: Solihull Moors 0-0 Sutton United

Click a to expand () the menu