First Team Match Reports

Solihull Moors v Maidenhead United

1 - 1 Mar 6th 2021 at 15:00

Starting Lineup

Solihull Moors

1Ryan Boot
21Ben Usher-Shipway Cameron Archer 69'
17Jordan Piggott
2Tyrone Williams
23Darren Carter
3Jordan Cranston
4Kyle Storer Kyle Hudlin 78'
8Stephen Gleeson
15Callum Maycock Jamie Ward 46'
18James Ball
9Adam Rooney


Solihull Moors

11Jamie Ward 83'
13Niall Clayton
16Reiss McNally
25Cameron Archer
27Kyle Hudlin

Starting Lineup

Maidenhead United

1Taye Ashby-Hammond
24Alan Massey
3George Wells
5Manny Parry
6Remy Clerima
11Dan Sparkes
8James Comley
14Rohan Ince
19Ryan Upward Josh Coley 46'
10Danilo Orsi Seth Ofori-Twumasi 78'
9Nathan Blissett 29'


Maidenhead United

7Josh Coley
15Seth Ofori-Twumasi
12Brad Keetch
17Reece Smith
22Josh Kelly

Match Report

Solihull Moors v Maidenhead United
Solihull Moors v Maidenhead United

Team News

Moors boss Jimmy Shan was forced into making one change to the side that narrowly lost out to Dagenham & Redbridge last time out.

Joe Sbarra who limped off in that game hadn't recovered in time so Stephen Gleeson came back into the starting XI, having missed Tuesday's match through suspension.

There was also a welcome return to the matchday squad for Jamie Ward, the forward named amongst the substitutes.

The Northern Irishman had been missing from action in the last couple of weeks having picked up an injury in the 3-1 win at Aldershot.

Cameron Archer who produced an exciting cameo against the Daggers was again an option on the bench.

Minute by Minute Match Report

Moors settled well, the backline enjoying plenty of early touches, Tyrone Williams and Darren Carter ensuring a solid start.

Then came a flurry of goalmouth action for the hosts. Ben Usher Shipway crossed and Adam Rooney helped it on to James Ball who was snuffed out at the far post.

Williams was then denied on the line. It was last-ditch by Maidenhead who scrambled their lines clear.

Moments later, Williams arriving late into the box, had a free header but the Moors defender was unable to keep it down and it flew over.

It was a promising opening spell from Shan’s side, Gleeson’s in-swinging free-kick was dangerous but the Magpies Manny Parry rose highest to clear the danger.

The hosts were on top but that opening goal was eluding them. Jordan Cranston robbed the defender of the ball, but Rooney couldn't make a telling contact on the cross.

It was kept alive but Ball’s attempt was charged down before the offside flag gave Maidenhead room to breathe.

However, it wasn’t much of a respite. Callum Maycock’s chipped through ball had Ball in on the right, the angle was tight but he still forced Taye Ashby-Hammond into a fingertip save.

Then when Moors had dominated, Maidenhead struck. From a corner, Ryan Boot fumbled the ball into the path of Nathan Blissett, who swept it in from a matter of yards.

A tough blow for Shan’s men who had been much the better of the two sides but found themselves trailing.

It galvanised the away side. Blissett thought he had blasted in a second from outside the box, but he was adjudged to have used his hand to control and the goal was ruled out.

Moors were rocked by the goal but they continued to stretch the away side, this time Cranston came close, sliding in at the back post but he couldn’t turn the ball home.

Then in first-half stoppage time, Rooney’s clever flick released Ball, but Ashby-Hammond was quick off his line and anticipated the danger well.

It was the last action of the half, Shan’s side would have been cursing their luck at the break, having done everything but score.

HT: Solihull Moors 0-1 Maidenhead United

The game restarted, Jamie Ward was introduced as Moors went in search of an equaliser.

Usher Shipway’s delivery was only partially cleared, running onto it was Gleeson but his dipping volley from the edge, whistled wide of the far post.

Danilo Orsi was looking a threat at the other end, the Magpies number 10 looking to get in behind at every opportunity but Williams continued to marshal him well.

George Wells’ rasping effort then took a wicked deflection off Rooney. It left Boot rooted to the spot but fortunately for Moors, it crashed back off the bar and away from goal.

Moors with plenty of the ball but just missing that incisive pass, and it was the visitors with the more clear-cut chances, Blissett coming close to his second with a looping header.

With 20 minutes remaining, striker Cameron Archer came on for the Moors as the home side switched to a 4-1-4-1 formation, Archer on the wing.

Then an audacious attempt from Magpies left-back Wells. From just inside his own half, he spotted Boot off his line but the ball sailed just over.

For the Moors, Ward then broke free, slipped in Cranston his pull-back found skipper Kyle Storer who dragged his shot wide with little over 10 minutes remaining.

Storer’s last contribution as Kyle Hudlin was called upon from the bench. Moors trying everything to find a way back into the game.

Moors were pushing further and further up the pitch, centre-back Jordan Piggott found himself on the right, Hudlin met the cross, but the referee deemed it a foul on the keeper.

But there was nothing stopping Ward smashing home the leveller moments later. The substitute firing a sweetly struck half-volley into the net, after the ball had dropped invitingly to him.

It was a goal that had been coming and now Moors sensed victory. In stoppage time Cranston's floated ball found Hudlin but the striker's header flashed wide.

Then with practically the last kick of the game, Rooney saw his goal-bound effort charged down by a desperate Maidenhead defence as the visitors survived and the spoils shared.

FT: Solihull Moors 1-1 Maidenhead United

Click a to expand () the menu