First Team Match Reports

Boreham Wood v Solihull Moors

2 - 2 Feb 27th 2021 at 15:00

Starting Lineup

Boreham Wood

1Nathan Ashmore
14Krystian Pearce
12Jamal Fyfield
3Femi Ilesanmi
19Kane Smith
10Kieran Murtagh
8Gus Mafuta
11Corey Whitely
23Tyrone Marsh
9Kabongo Tshimanga 40'
22Junior Morais 54'


Boreham Wood

6David Stephens
16Zaine Francis-Angol
17Ryan Huddart
18Shaquile Coulthirst
20Adam McDonnell

Starting Lineup

Solihull Moors

1Ryan Boot
21Ben Usher-Shipway
2Tyrone Williams
29Nathan Cameron Cameron Coxe 60'
6Alex Gudger 2'
24Mitch Hancox
8Stephen Gleeson
15Callum Maycock
18James Ball Kyle Hudlin 70'
26Justin Donawa Joe Sbarra 54'
9Adam Rooney 60'


Solihull Moors

7Joe Sbarra
12Cameron Coxe
13Niall Clayton
17Jordan Piggott
27Kyle Hudlin

Match Report

Boreham Wood v Solihull Moors
Boreham Wood v Solihull Moors

Team News

With captain Kyle Storer and full-back Jordan Cranston both missing through suspension, manager Jimmy Shan was forced into shuffling his pack.

In came Mitch Hancox at left-wing back, while Alex Gudger took on the armband with Storer absent, Callum Maycock filling the midfield void left by the skipper.

On the opposite flank, Ben Usher-Shipway was given his first start for the club. The defender winning a starting berth having impressed coming off the bench against Torquay United.

There were also changes further forward as James Ball returned from injury and Justin Donawa was also handed a start, with Joe Sbarra dropping to the bench. Kyle Howkins missed out after picking up an injury in training, with the club awaiting an assessment on his situation.

As for the hosts, a familiar face lined up for Boreham Wood. Krystian Pearce going up against the Moors for the first time since leaving the club earlier in the season.

Minute by Minute Report

Not for the first time this season, Moors were quick out of the blocks and on this occasion, they capitalised, Gudger nodding in the opener with less than two minutes played.

Gleeson’s free-kick was nodded back across goal and in a crowded six-yard box, Gudger showed the most desire to head home.

The hosts were not shaken by the equaliser however, first Tyrone Marsh warmed the hands of Boot before Kabongo Tshimanga skewed an acrobatic effort off target.

Nothing to cause too much concern to the visiting defence but warning signs all the same. Corey Whitely was requiring close attention from Usher-Shipway on the left.

Gus Mafuta was next to test Boot’s handling before the stopper was forced into diving down low to his left to stop Marsh from finding the bottom corner.

Marsh was causing problems and his good work almost led to Tshimanga curling an effort into the far corner but fortunately for Moors, it flashed wide.

Since the goal, Wood had come back strong but Moors were standing firm, protecting their early lead, looking to hit the hosts on the counter.

From a break, Tshimanga then had a golden chance to equalise. Clean through, he only had the keeper to beat but his effort was tame and Boot was able to save.

In the attacking third Moors had been quiet but they had the advantage. Rooney and Donawa were tireless in their chasing down of the home defence.

But then just as half-time was approaching, a Wood corner caused havoc in the box. It was only partially cleared and Jamal Fyfield went down under a challenge in the area.

The referee pointed to the spot, Tshimanga stepped up, Boot dived the right way but the spot-kick was accurate and found its way into the bottom corner.

Wood back on level terms but it seemed to kick start Shan’s charges who enjoyed a spell of sustained pressure as the interval beckoned.

A succession of Usher Shipway corners followed, Maycock fired goalwards but his effort from the edge of the area was high and wide.

HT: Boreham Wood 1-1 Solihull Moors

The hosts started the half well, a dangerous ball into the box evaded everyone including Junior Morias at the back post who was closely marshalled by Hancox.

Then on the counter, Ball strode through after good hold up play from Rooney, on the angle he looked to squeeze it in at the near post, but Nathan Ashmore got down well to save.

Moors were on the front foot but soon found themselves behind. Having won the ball in midfield, Kieran Murtagh sprang a break. He slipped in Morais who took his time to slot past the onrushing Boot.

But the visitors weren’t behind for long. Cameron found himself inside the opposition box, as he went to pull the trigger, he was clipped and again a penalty was awarded.

Rooney made no mistake from the spot, expertly dispatching his penalty, sending Ashmore the wrong way and putting his side back on level terms.

The game was there for the taking and with 20 minutes remaining, both teams were pushing for the winner.

Kyle Hudlin was brought on as Shan made his intentions known, the three points at the forefront of the manager’s thoughts.

And Moors were so nearly ahead. Substitute Sbarra cut inside, arrowed a shot back across goal but Ashmore produced an outstretched hand to deny him with a brilliant save.

Cameron Coxe had made a difference since he came on, on the left he had injected urgency and pace into the away side’s attack.

But it was the opposite flank that produced the next talking point. Hancox had enjoyed a solid game but a late challenge on Tshimanga had the defender receive his marching orders.

It meant Moors had to endure five minutes of injury time with ten men. It was backs against the wall and Boot was forced into an incredible point-blank save deep into stoppage time.

Kane Smith’s cross found Fyfield whose goalbound header produced the very best from Boot, the keeper showing great reflexes to keep the ball out.

The final action of a pulsating game. In the end, the spoils were shared and Shan’s men would have been happy to go away with a hard-earned point.

Attention now switches to Tuesday and the visit of Dagenham & Redbridge to the Stadium.

FT: Boreham Wood 2-2 Solihull Moors

Click a to expand () the menu