Solihull Moors FC - Solihull Moors 3 Guiseley AFC 1 Attendance 915
Powered by
Pick a team to view there news.
YOU ARE HERE - Home - Solihull Moors 3 Guiseley AFC 1 Attendance 915
Solihull Moors 3 Guiseley AFC 1 Attendance 915
Moors Tame The Lions
PUBLISHED: 15th Apr 18

Spring at last arrived at the Automated Technology Group Stadium, along with Guiseley AFC in an encounter that Solihull needed to win to maintain their now realistic hopes of staying up. Manager Mark Yates fielded the same squad that had performed so well the previous Tuesday in the Maidstone victory as Moors looked to make it nine points in eight days.

Unusually these days Moors looked a little on the back foot in the opening exchange and Dayle Southwell tested Max O’Leary in the first minute with a stinging 20 yarder that the Solihull shot stopper parried but safely gathered at the second attempt. Alex Purver tried his luck for the visitors with an opportunist effort from well beyond the box, but it was wide,

However, it all changed when Moors launched their first foray forward in the sixth minute; George Carline surprised the Guiseley defence with a powerful throw into the box and the unfortunate ex Solihull defender Ben Frempah back headed it into the far corner of the net giving keeper Green no chance whatsoever.1 – 0.

Frempah’s return to the ATG Stadium was made worse when he was yellow carded for hacking down Thomas on a run into the opposition box, but Darren Carter’s free kick was headed away to safety.

Moors came close to doubling their advantage moments later when Adi Yussuf used all his strength to hold the ball before putting Kwame Thomas away, but this time is was Joe Green who gathered it safely after spilling the initial shot.

With Solihull now dominating, a second goal looked inevitable and it duly arrived on 19 minutes; the impressive Thomas threaded the ball through to Jamey Osborne who brought it down onto his left foot before his deflected shot curled over Green to double Moors advantage. 2 – 0.

Jermaine Hylton went wide on the half hour mark, but he then unlocked the “Lions” defence culminating in a perfect cross to the waiting Yussuf whose final shot cleared the crossbar. Yussuf’s effort just before the half time whistle lacked pace and Green was ready.

Two up at the interval was no more than Moors deserved – Max O’Leary had had a quiet opening 45.


Guiseley started the second half exactly as they had the first, but this time Moors paid a high price; George Carline missed a header as the Lion’s roared forward but as Southwell capitalised on the error, Carline tripped him in the box. Southwell dusted himself down and sent O’Leary the wrong way from the penalty spot. 2 – 1

It was a nervous time for the hosts as Guiseley pushed on and had it not been for a stupendous save from O’Leary on 51 minutes the score would have been level; Liburd rounded Kelleher, laid it forward to Holden and the screamer of a shot looked destined for the back of the net – O’Leary had other ideas!

Solihull, from that moment, looked composed again with Osborne shooting over after good work from Carter, whilst another long throw from Carline needed two attempts from Green to quell the danger.

Almost on the hour mark Carter found himself in space some 30 yards out and curled a peach of a cross into the box with Fiacre Kelleher timing his run perfectly and heading into the corner of the goal.  A text book move. 3 - 1.

Carter then hit the post from the edge of the box with a curling left footed shot

Guiseley continued to battle and were so close to reducing the deficit when Southwell put Liburd through for what looked a certain goal from the six-yard line, but Kelleher had read the situation and with no time to think he managed to lift the ball over his own cross bar to safety. It was a remarkable reaction to a very dangerous situation.

Moors comfortably saw out the remaining minutes to record their third win in eight days and to elevate themselves to seventeenth in the National League, six points above the drop zone. They are not safe yet, but it is a much better position than could have ever been envisaged at the turn of the year.


Next Saturday we travel to high flying AFC Fylde and on the following Tuesday its back to the North West again and Tranmere Rovers. The season ends on Saturday the 28th April when Eastleigh come to visit the ATG Stadium – kick off on that day is 12.30 pm


Seven One Zero         Man of the Match                 Darren Carter


O’Leary, K Green, Carter (c), Williams, Storer, Yussuf (Reid), Hylton (Lait), Thomas, Carline, Kelleher, Osborne (Sterling-James).  Subs not Used; Coyle, Martinez.

Finally a big "well done" to Kyle Storer who made the Non League Paper 

National League Team of the Day

Report from John Clothier                  Photos Courtesy of Tom King



Flowers: This club's got ambition
News Article Date: 22nd Jun 18
*The new Moors boss spoke to us following his recent appointment - by Luke Turner*
Tim Flowers Appointed Moors Manager
News Article Date: 20th Jun 18
Tim Flowers Takes Over Hot Seat, Assisted by Gary Whild
Ladies Team Vice Captain Cycles for Gift To Lift
News Article Date: 18th Jun 18
Vicky Grieve, along with her sister Lauren and brother in law, Kieran Culleton, are cycling to 26 football stadiums in the UK, ticking off every letter of the alphabet along the way.
View All Sponsors
Powered & Designed by
Home I About Us I Cookie Policy I Support I Contact Us I Privacy Policy I Getting Started
Copyright Forward Sport 2016 - 2018 all rights reserved
This website is the only official website of Solihull Moors and is apart of the Forward Sport Group