Solihull Moors FC - Match Report - TRANMERE ROVERS 1 SOLIHULL MOORS 2
Powered by
YOU ARE HERE - Home - Team Match Centre - Match Report
Tranmere Rovers 1 - 2 Solihull Moors
Date: Tue 24th Apr 2018
Attn: 3946

*We are staying up! - by Luke Turner*

Solihull Moors confirmed their place in the Vanarama National League for another season as they took all three points against second-placed Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park. 

Goals from Jamey Osborne and Alex Reid completed the great escape for Mark Yates’ men, who were 12 points from safety around Christmas time. 

Moors had the first effort on target as Osborne launched a long throw into the box that was met by the head of Fiacre Kelleher, who could only divert straight into the arms of Rhys Taylor. 

Osborne himself then forced a diving save out of the home goalkeeper as he picked up the ball just outside the edge of the area, before curling a left-footed strike that had to be tipped away from danger. 

Another chance then presented itself for Mark Yates’ men as Osborne and Kyle Storer led the Moors break on the 25-minute mark. The latter then picked out Omari Sterling-James who drifted a first time shot over the bar. 

Then, in the 32nd minute, Solihull took the lead. Jermaine Hylton did brilliantly to close down the Tranmere defence, before winning the ball and setting up Osborne who drove a low shot past Taylor and into the back of the net. 

Rovers almost breached the Moors backline when Devarn Green dinked a ball through to Elliott Rokka, but Max O’Leary was quick off his line and gathered safely. 

On the stroke of half-time, Osborne tried a cheeky effort from 40-yards in an attempt to catch Taylor off guard but, after spilling the initial shot, the ‘keeper collected at the second attempt. 

Half-time: Tranmere Rovers 0-1 Solihull Moors 

The first chance of the second period fell to Micky Mellon’s side as Rovers pounced on a loose kick by O’Leary, before Jack Dunn met a cross in the middle only to fire well over the bar. 

The Moors then got that all-important second goal with around 25 minutes remaining after a clinical finish from substitute Reid. The forward was threaded through down the left-hand side by Sterling-James before unleashing a low and powerful effort from a tight angle that rocketed into the far corner, leaving Taylor with no chance.

However, just a few moments later, Rovers grabbed a goal back. Green picked the ball up before biding his time and striking a low effort past O’Leary to reduce the score line back to one.

Almost immediately after that, Reid found himself through again after pouncing on a mistake. This time, though, Taylor took control as he got down low to save with his legs.

Chris Lait entered the field with just under 20 minutes to play and the lively winger almost caught out Taylor as he swung in a teasing free-kick that had to be palmed away.

Some great work from George Carline to win the ball back on the byline then gave Moors an excellent chance to regain their two-goal lead from the spot as he was pulled down. Reid stepped up, but Taylor stayed strong and saved, as the opportunity went begging. 

Minutes later, Darren Carter’s free kick deflected into the path of Storer who unleased a pile-driver from distance that, via a deflection, was expertly tipped away by Taylor who had to readjust. 

Moors controlled proceedings for the remaining minutes to see out the game and complete what has been a remarkable second-half of the season.

Full-time: Tranmere Rovers 1-2 Solihull Moors 

Solihull Moors: O’Leary (GK), K Green, Carter ©, Williams, Storer, Hylton (Reid 57), Thomas (Carline 66), Sterling James (Lait 73), Daly, Kelleher, Osborne.

Tranmere Rovers - Goals Scored 1
# Name Cards Goals MOM Sub For Sub Time
Solihull Moors - Goals Scored 2
# Name Cards Goals MOM Sub For Sub Time
View All Sponsors
Powered & Designed by
Home I About Us I Cookie Policy I Support I Contact Us I Privacy Policy I Getting Started
Copyright Forward Sport 2016 - 2018 all rights reserved
This website is the only official website of Solihull Moors and is apart of the Forward Sport Group