Solihull Moors FC - Match Report - Halifax Town 0 Solihull Moors 0
Powered by
YOU ARE HERE - Home - Team Match Centre - Match Report
Halifax Town 0 Solihull Moors 0
FC Halifax Town 0 - 0 Solihull Moors
Date: Sat 24th Mar 2018
Attn: 1849

Moors visited West Yorkshire to take on FC Halifax Town in a game where three points for Solihull might well have seen them out of the relegation zone for the first time this season whilst a win for Halifax would virtually secure their place in the National league next season. The Shay Stadium is a magnificent venue and with the weather milder than of late, there was considerable anticipation from the 1849 crowd. Moors were without Jamie Osborne and Kyle Storer which gave a start to Paul Green and George Carline. On loan signing Omari Stirling – James was also in the starting line up

Moors were straight at their opponents with Darren Carter putting Jamie Reckord away with just 3 minutes played but his low effort from 20 yards was well saved by Johnson.

The Solihull players were aware that Matty Kosylo has proved a match winner several times this season for Halifax and as the home team settled it was the mid fielder who picked up a dink to the left flank and his defence splitting pass across the face of the goal fortunately found no other blue shirts available.

On ten minutes a poor back pass to Johnson saw a hurried clearance headed back by Adi Yussuf but it was too high to be dangerous. Max O’Leary saved well from Kosylo’s long range free kick whilst Omari Sterling-James got on the end of a Solihull corner but curled it over.

Moors first real chance came on 20 minutes when Stirling-James put over a peach of a corner for Carline to head down in the six-yard box – through a melee of legs it seemed harder to miss than score but eventually referee Edwards saw an infringement and the hosts were able to clear.

Tomlinson found himself in a one on one situation with O’Leary but the Moorsman saved brilliantly. Halifax then had another golden opportunity on the half hour mark when Fondop-Talom got the better of Fiacre Kelleher but with just the Solihull keeper in front of him, blasted the ball high over the cross bar from six yards out.

Fondop-Talom again had O’Leary in front, picking up an exquisite through ball from Kosylo but ended up with a yellow card for simulating a foul in the box.

Moors ended the half on a high note with Paul Green lashing Stirling-James’ pass from 25 yards fractionally wide of the near post with Johnson well beaten

0 – 0 was a fair reflection of the opening 45 minutes.

Solihull started the second half very much on the front foot. Kwame Thomas was clattered as he ran towards the box and Reckord’s subsequent free kick was close. Thomas was again in the thick of things as he seized on Carline’s pass but Johnson saved with his feet. Sterling-James combined well with Adi Yussuf as they opened up the left flank and it was Yussuf again so close capitalising on Carter’s header into the box.

Jermaine Hylton replaced Yussuf on the hour mark and his direct running at the Shaymen’s defence immediately gave Moors a boost. Halifax had to wait until the 71st minute for a sniff at goal but were unlucky when Brown’s header rebounded off the far post before being cleared to safety.

Alex Reid took over from Thomas on 76 minutes as Manager Yates sought to re energise the attack and almost immediately Solihull’s best effort of the game saw a marvellous reaction save from Johnson as he somehow pushed Kelleher’s bullet header away from point blank range after a long Carline throw. Sterling-James eighteen yarder was blocked before Reckord put Hylton away but again the Halifax defence stood firm.

With a draw looking most likely as time ebbed away, Moors were caught on the break with four minutes remaining. Yet again Kosylo put Fondop-Talom through for a one on one and it looked impossible for the Moors keeper to keep the ball out – O’Leary bravely flung himself in front of the ball struck with power from point blank range  - it seemed to catch him full in the face but he had done enough to keep his team in the match – one of the best saves of the season without a doubt! 

Four added minutes saw Tyrone Williams cross the ball from the right wing as Carline met it perfectly but for a miraculous tip over by Johnson (the Halifax keeper being awarded the home side man of the match)

Both teams had chances to win this battle but the two goal keepers had different ideas – both had amazing games. It ended 0 – 0.

With Barrow salvaging a point at home to Dover Moors still occupy the final relegation position but on goal difference only. Woking and Maidstone suffered defeats, whilst Hartlepools’s game was postponed. There is everything to play for!


Seven One Zero Man of the Match             Max O’Leary


O’Leary, Carter ©, Williams, Sterling-James, Yussuf (Hylton), Thomas (Reid), Reckord, Green (P), Carline, Daly, Kelleher. Subs not Used; Green (K), Lait. Martinez (GK)


 Report from John Clothier                     Photos (to follow) Courtesy of Tom King

FC Halifax Town - Goals Scored 0
# Name Cards Goals MOM Sub For Sub Time
Solihull Moors - Goals Scored 0
# Name Cards Goals MOM Sub For Sub Time
View All Sponsors
Powered & Designed by
Home I About Us I Cookie Policy I Support I Contact Us I Privacy Policy I Getting Started
Copyright Forward Sport 2016 - 2018 all rights reserved
This website is the only official website of Solihull Moors and is apart of the Forward Sport Group