Solihull Moors FC - Match Report - Woking Woes As Moors March On 3 - 0
Powered by
YOU ARE HERE - Home - Team Match Centre - Match Report
Woking Woes As Moors March On 3 - 0
Solihull Moors 3 - 0 Woking
Date: Sat 20th Jan 2018
Attn: 638

Woking have been in the top non-league for all but two years and although we have played them 3 times, all we have to show for our efforts so far is one solitary point. If that record was to be broken, there would be no better time than Saturday’s home game.

With less than an hour before kick off the snow, which had been falling steadily since midday, abated and referee Ryan Johnson had no hesitation in declaring the pitch fit for play and it was “game on”

The “cards” almost sprung a surprise in the second minute when Ferdinand got on the end of a cross into the box and the ball, which seemed destined for the far corner, swerved at the last moment, hitting the upright and away to safety.

Moors launched their first meaningful foray into the Woking box on 6 minutes. A corner from Darren Carter was partially cleared but in the melee, the ball fell to Kwarme Thomas who completely wrong forwarded the Woking defenders as without hesitation he backed heeled the ball, with considerable power, into the corner of the net. 1 – 0.

Oladapo Afolayan had another chance as he collected Jamey Osborne’s pass, but his 20 yarder was well saved by ex-Moors shot stopper Nathan Baxter. Carter found himself in a one on one with O’Leary forcing the Moorsman into a brilliant save with his legs from point blank range. Jermaine Hylton’s effort from inside the box was no problem for Baxter. Afolayan had a chance on the end of another superb through ball from Osborne but held on to it for too long. It was all end to end stuff with 20 minutes gone- a joy to watch for the spectators.

Osborne and Hylton combined well as Moors broke down the left flank but Thomas shot was deflected over - Carter ‘s pin point corner fizzed over the Woking defence with Daly’s header fractionally wide. Thomas put Hylton through, but he too went wide under pressure.

Hylton, playing in the centre of attack, was causing all manner of problems and with five minutes of the half remaining, was clattered just outside the box - Carter’s free kick, however, was high. Kelleher’s foul in the last minute resulted in a goal mouth scramble but eventually Jamie Reckord cleared and Moors retreated to the changing rooms one goal to the good.

Solihull started the second half very much on the front foot and almost immediately Carter fired wide with Baxter beaten after a pulsating run down the flank by Afolayan. At the other end Ferdinand seized on a goal mouth clearance but blasted way over the cross bar. Moors could have done better when they were awarded an indirect free kick for a back pass in the box – the Woking defence forced back onto the goal line by referee Johnson.

However, Hylton eased any nerves in the home crowd on 57 minutes; it was a solo effort having picked up a loose ball and as he ran at goal, Baxter rushed out only for the Moors sharp shooter to chip the ball over his head and into the net for number two. 2 - 0

On 72 minutes Hylton beat three defenders resulting in a corner. That flashed over the box to be collected by Liam Daly who delivered a pin point cross for the unmarked Moors striker to head home for his second goal of the day. 3 – 0.

Credit to Woking as they never gave up and Moors had O’Leary to thank with six minutes remaining as somehow, he managed to push over a thunderbolt from Carter on the six-yard line. Possibly the best save of the season!

The irrepressible Hylton put Kyle Storer through but the shot cleared the bar and then he delivered another through ball to substitute Opanin Edwards, but Baxter was there to block the shot from close range. O’Leary again protected the clean sheet in the final minutes as Kristian Green defected a corner, but the keeper reacted with lightning speed to push the ball away.

Four minutes added time gave both Hylton and Carter the chance for a last shot but Baxter was equal to both

This was a hard-fought victory but as a spectacle, one of the best games we have seen at the ATG Stadium this season. It was excellently presided over by referee Johnson who kept things moving with authority but little interference.

With Chester and Torquay losing and Guiseley’s game postponed, Moors move up to the last relegation spot. They are now 4 points behind Barrow, 5 behind Leyton Orient, 6 adrift of Hartlepool and 7 behind Halifax. Ten points from our last four league games!

Next Saturday we travel to promotion hopefuls Dagenham and Redbridge.  KO 3.00 pm


Seven One Zero        Man of the Match      Jermaine Hylton



O’Leary, Green (K), Carter ©, Storer (Green P), Hylton, Afolayan (Edwards), Reckford (Frempah), Daly, Kelleher, Osborne, Thomas   Subs not used., Martin. Carline


Report from John Clothier                  Photos from Tom King


Solihull Moors - Goals Scored 3
# Name Cards Goals MOM Sub For Sub Time
Woking - Goals Scored 0
# Name Cards Goals MOM Sub For Sub Time
View All Sponsors
Powered & Designed by
Home I About Us I Cookie Policy I Support I Contact Us I Privacy Policy I Getting Started
Copyright Forward Sport 2016 - 2018 all rights reserved
This website is the only official website of Solihull Moors and is apart of the Forward Sport Group